Email has become a very popular mode of communication around the world. It has also become extremely popular to advertise through. Some of the many advantages of advertising through email are the direct contact with the consumer and the fact that it is inexpensive, flexible, and simple to implement. There are also disadvantages attached to email advertising such as alienating the consumer because of overload of messages or the advertisement getting deleted without being read.
Opt-in email advertising, or “permission marketing,” is a method of advertising via electronic mail whereby the recipient of the advertisement has consented to receive it. It is one of several ways developed by marketers to eliminate the disadvantages—and satisfy the legal requirements—of email marketing.
Permission email marketing may evolve into a technology that uses a handshake protocol between sender and receiver. This system is intended to eventually result in a high degree of satisfaction between consumers and marketers. If opt-in email advertising is used, the material that is emailed to consumers will be “anticipated.” It is assumed that the consumer wants to receive it, which makes it unlike unsolicited advertisements sent to the consumer (often referred to as spam). Ideally, opt-in email advertisements will be more personal and relevant to the consumer than untargeted advertisements.
A common example of permission marketing is a newsletter sent to customers. Newsletters like this are a way to let customers know about upcoming events or promotions, or new products. In this type of advertising, a business that wants to send a newsletter to their customers may ask them at the point of purchase or on their website if they would like to receive this newsletter.
With a foundation of opted-in contact information stored in a database, marketers can automatically send out promotional materials. Marketers can also segment their promotions to specific market segments.
Email marketing ROI is second only to search marketing as the most effective marketing tactic
Email marketing is popular with businesses because:
- Information is distributed to a wide range of specific, potential customers at a relatively low cost.
- Compared to other media such as direct mail or printed newsletters, it is less expensive.
- An exact ROI can be tracked and has proven to be high when done properly.
- It is easy to track.
- Repeat business is generated automatically and affordably
- Substantial numbers of email subscribers can be reached via opt-in email with subjects of interest to them
- Certain types of interaction with messages can trigger other messages to be automatically delivered
- Certain types of interaction with messages can trigger events such as updating a recipient’s special interests
- Green—email marketing is paper-free.
Businesses considering an email marketing program must make sure that their program does not violate spam laws such as the United States' CAN-SPAM Act (Controlling the Assault of Non-Solicited Pornography and Marketing Act). And even if you follow the law, if Internet mail administrators determine that you are sending spam, it is likely you will be blacklisted.
Want to implement email programs but don’t know where to begin? Please contact us to learn more about how our corporate email campaigns can solidify customer relations and generate sales.